I’m not much of an astronomer. In fact I’m quite knowledgeless when it comes to anything beyond planet earth. Guess I’ve forgotten all the Physics I learnt in school.
But recent debates about whether or not Pluto is a planet caught my attention. Ok, even now I can rattle off the nine planets in a row in one breath. And now I may have to remove that list etched in my permanent memory cells and relearn a different set it seems.
It doesnt seem to be a new debate though.
I picked up these links from 1999 about Pluto:
1. Is Pluto A Planet? Copyright 1998, John A. Stansberry
2. Ask an Astrophycisist (or however you spell that word!)
I dont understand the arguements and wont spend time breaking my head and the neural tissue within about the facts, but here are some links
1. Scientists decide Pluto’s no longer a planet (from MSNBC)
2. Pluto Downgraded To ‘Dwarf Planet’ Status; Solar System Now Has Eight Planets (from ScienceDaily)
You know, the more man tries to think he’s in control, the more confused he becomes. Whatever NASA, the UN, IISc, Apollo, CNN or Agassi say about Pluto – it wont affect me. Why?
1. I dont believe that my future depends on how the planets lined up when I was born, how many there are and where they are today!
2. Pluto (and Plutonians) won’t get angry with humans about the downgrade. They probably dont give 2 hoots about earthlings anyway!
3. That cute Walt Disney dog will still be the same!
4. Whatever man calls Pluto, IT WILL NEVER CEASE TO AMAZE ME ABOUT WHAT A WONDERFULLY CREATIVE AND LOVING GOD WE HAVE. Period!
He created the whole universe, every speck of dust, every planet, every star, every ‘dwarf planet’, but what made Him the happiest was creating you and me and also loving each of us. Many scientists and geniuses are now debating what to call Pluto and such trivialties without understanding the reason for their own existence and the existence of the human race. C’mon… get over this! Stop looking billions of miles away and trying to figure out stuff when you can’t figure out or understand what’s in you!!
In the end, what matters is what you did with your life for God – not how many planets you discovered (or even created!).
Take some time now to look at all of God’s creation and be left in awe. Next spend some time in introspection and try to understand the purpose of your life.
Here are the lyrics to an all-time old favorite song of mine
HE’S EVERYTHING TO ME
In the stars His handiwork I see,
On the wind He speaks with majesty.
Though he ruleth over land and sea,
What is that to me?
I will celebrate Nativity,
For it has a place in history.
Sure, He came to set His people free,
What is that to me?
Till by faith I met Him face to face,
And I felt the wonder of His grace,
Then I knew that He was more than just a God who didn’t care
That lived away out there and
Now He walks beside me day by day,
Ever watching o’er me lest I stray,
Helping me to find that narrow way,
He’s everything to me.
Did I make you think?
Put down your thought on my comments!